5/30/10

Professing Christians, You Have To Finish The Race!

Hebrews 10:38 'Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him'
Perseverance is the badge of true saints. The Christian life is not a beginning only in the ways of God, but also a continuance in the same as long as life lasts. It is with a Christian as it was with the great Napoleon: he said, "Conquest has made me what I am, and conquest must maintain me." So, under God, dear brother in the Lord, conquest has made you what you are, and conquest must sustain you. Your motto must be, "Excelsior." He only is a true conqueror, and shall be crowned at the last, who continueth till war's trumpet is blown no more. Perseverance is, therefore, the target of all our spiritual enemies. The world does not object to your being a Christian for a time, if she can but tempt you to cease your pilgrimage, and settle down to buy and sell with her in Vanity Fair.
The flesh will seek to ensnare you, and to prevent your pressing on to glory. "It is weary work being a pilgrim; come, give it up. Am I always to be mortified? Am I never to be indulged? Give me at least a furlough from this constant warfare." Satan will make many a fierce attack on your perseverance; it will be the mark for all his arrows. He will strive to hinder you in service: he will insinuate that you are doing no good; and that you want rest. He will endeavour to make you weary of suffering, he will whisper, "Curse God, and die." Or he will attack your steadfastness: "What is the good of being so zealous? Be quiet like the rest; sleep as do others, and let your lamp go out as the other virgins do." Or he will assail your doctrinal sentiments: "Why do you hold to these denominational creeds? Sensible men are getting more liberal; they are removing the old landmarks: fall in with the times."
Wear your shield, Christian, therefore, close upon your armour, and cry mightily unto God, that by His Spirit you may endure to the end. Spurgeon
---------------------------------------------
Hebrews 10:39 'But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.'

1 comment :

Unknown said...

30 May 2010

To Another Voice,

What a timely message! The battles are definitely intensifying, and the Devil is surely working overtime these days.

Jesus told His disciples that, "ye shall be hated of all men for My Name's sake..." Mark 13:13a, and I have to admit it is so much harder to endure when the persecution and rejection comes from our children, parents, or other family members.

But no matter who has chosen to stand against us, even if they profess to be Christians, we need to realize it is a "spiritual" battle, and we must try not to take it too personally. I know that is easier said than done, and when/if we give into our "flesh" we will fail, but by God's Spirit we WILL win the Victory! Praise God.

May my dear brothers and sisters in the LORD, who are striving to love and serve God in Spirit and in Truth, be encouraged by this word from our beloved brother Paul. And I pray that all of us will be among those who "endure unto the End." Amen!

2 Timothy 4:1-8 "I charge thee therefore before God, and the LORD Jesus Christ, Who shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom;

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the Time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the Truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

For I Am now ready to be offered, and the Time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the LORD, the Righteous Judge, shall give me at that Day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing."

Sincerely,
C. Read
@ True Light Publications