10/16/15

Christian...Where Is That Meek And Quiet Spirit...Of Great Price? James Buchanan 1840; It's Me It's Me Oh Lord...

'...even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price' 1 Peter 3:4

The character which is so exquisitely delineated in these few simple words, is not the result of mere natural temperament or constitution — but the product of ripe and mature Christian experience. It is formed by slow degrees, under the teaching of God's Word and Spirit, and the long-continued discipline of his providence. It is lamentably defective in many, whose personal religion cannot be charitably doubted — and is seldom acquired in the earlier stages of the Christian course. It resembles the mellow flavor and sweetness of fruit which has been fully matured, and is ready to be gathered.

Whenever we find ourselves irritated, discomposed, fretful, impatient, or wretched--we may rest assured that our misery arises much more from the distempered state of our souls, than from any external cause. We should seek relief, by acquiring that meek and quiet spirit, which will raise us above the influence of external circumstances, or enable us calmly to endure them.

Finally, let it be remembered that this meek temper of mind is not natural to any of us--it must be acquired and cultivated. Nor is it a plant of easy and speedy growth--it is the gradual product of much discipline, and of growing Christian experience. It seldom springs up, so as to reach maturity, until after many a storm has rooted and established it--nor even then, unless it is implanted and watered by the Spirit of God. 'The fruit of the Spirit is...longsuffering...gentleness...meekness', 'And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever' Gal. 5:22; Isa. 32:17


Excerpted from A Meek And Quiet Spirit by James Buchanan 1804–1870. Buchanan was an acclaimed 19th century theologian and minister of the Free Church of Scotland.
***
From an old hymnal - It's me it's me oh Lord...



It's me, it's me oh Lord
Standing in the need of prayer

Not my mother
Not my father
But it's me oh Lord
Standing in the need of prayer

Not my sister
Not my brother
But it's me oh Lord
Standing in the need of prayer

It's me, it's me oh Lord
Standing in the need of prayer

[add verses by replacing "mother & father", "sister & brother" as necessary]


Rev. 18:4

5 comments :

Unknown said...

I agree. But as a humble Christian who desires to deny myself and exalt a Holy God, bowing before Him alone, not focusing on self but on God; I find it hard to sing the lyrics "it's me oh God..." it just sounds like "it's me, it's me, it's all about me oh God" and I know it was about praying and yes we do pray and sing and so on but songs that focus more on "I" "look at me" and "what I am doing (for God)" have that egocentric ring to them. There are not many songs anymore that have God at the center, rather than self. The purpose of worship songs is precisely that; to worship God, to praise Him, to exalt His holy name and they should focus on God, His attributes and why we worship Him. I find those so uplifting and spiritually edifying to the soul and obviously they glorify God and not self. Yet so many songs, including both old hymns but mostly those modern contemporary 'Christian' songs now focus on 'me, myself, and I' and with the latter group you also have that jingle of worldly entertainment and apostate doctrine thrown in, all for the price of one! Anyway this is not meant to be a criticism but just a sharing of insight on the topic. : D

God bless!

tom m. said...

FC aka "humble Christian",

re: sharing of insight

or...missing the point entirely

The apostle Paul:

'This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief' 1Tim. 1:15

Anonymous said...

Agree Faith Contender. Contemporary so called Christian music, is lace with the I, I, I and me, me, me theology with a sprinkling of Jesus/God here and there. It basically appeals to this self centered, self esteem, fakebook/facebook generation that has been taught to promote themselves. Good deeds/works are now seen as an opportunity to promote man through media venues in saying, "See what I have done, I am so great and I am so proud." We see and hear this all of the time through newspapers, radio, television, and of course, the internet.

To be seen by man is in opposition to being seen by our LORD Jesus.

Amen FC.

tom m. said...

It's me, it's me oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer

Anonymous said...

FC and Anon, If I am a "humble" Christian, it is ONLY by the grace of God! And as for denying myself, can't do that in the flesh either. Perhaps if Christians didn't spend so much time on facebook and various other media outlets (including taking "selfies," they wouldn't be so inundated with "self." The problem is not with the words in this hymn, the problem is that Christians have allowed themselves to be tainted by this world and, therefore, have allowed the enemy to twist what is truth, what is beautiful, what is innocent. When I read the words to this hymn, not once did I sense that it was about "me, myself and I." I understood it in my spirit as I am the chief of all sinners. (1 Tim. 1:15). Lord have mercy on me, I am a sinner in need of a Savior! Now that's humility!